Monday, November 15, 2010

Gun: Holsters

Holsters

Originally this was going to be a post about holsters in general.  There are enough good posts out there that can give you a 10 page run down on any holster ever made.  I could cover all that again but felt that since these other guys had done such a good job already I wouldn't step on their toes.  I decided to just give you my opinion on the different methods.






Hip Carry
As a small guy I don't like the hip carry for concealed carry.  My big problem is that this has to have a jacket or sweatshirt worn over it to cover up the weapon.  No, its not a problem to add a sweatshirt or jacket to what your wearing, my problem is that you can't take the sweatshirt or jacket off without exposing your piece.  Hip carry however does have one big advantage... Speed.  Hip carry is without a doubt the quickest to draw.  This is how I carry my gun at the range, for simple ease of access.  My choice for the range is a simple pancake holster.  It is a versatile enough holster to at least loosely hold any of the guns I own right on my hip.  Speed and Ease of Access are the two big reasons this is how the police carry their guns.  Additionally, in a "Going to War" situation or "Zombie Apocalypse" as some call it, If your not trying to hide it this is the way to go.  I actually prefer this over a thigh drop holster for those situations because with the drop holster you lose a one pocket or with cargo pants both a side pocket and a thigh cargo pocket.  My favorite for open "war" carry is the Blackhawk Serpa holster which can be fitted for a pistol with a light/laser attached.  The Serpa has a custom molded fit to your gun with a retention button that is easily disengaged by the shooter.  With the retention system of the Serpa it can be used as hip, leg or vest holster.  For concealment on the hip I would choose a Raven Concealment holster.  I have heard nothing but good about these close to body kydex holsters.




Shoulder Carry
Not a fan.  For FBI and Detectives.  Again needs a jacket to cover the weapon.  Other than having to get the gun off your belt I don't like this style.  The advantage here is that you can carry even a huge weapon like a Desert Eagle concealed if you use a vertical rig.  In the "War" situation getting your gun off your belt gives you more room for ammo.






Small of Back

My favorite.  With little more than a light t shirt this is the easiest way for me to carry.  I will admit that with a jacket this is easily concealed.  However with heavy t-shirt untucked I feel you can still conceal in this position after you take off your jacket.  Just my opinion, I'm sure it can be debated but thats how I like it.  My favorite is a
left-handed In the Waist Band (IWB) in the small of my back.  Conceals real easy and its not too uncomfortable.

3 comments:

  1. your probably just a pussy that carries a sig 229 cause you cant handle a .45. grow some balls and get a real gun and not some short barreled 1911

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wish. Smoking headshots yesterday. Too bad you were "preoccupied" and couldn't man up

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned.I am always searching for informative information about gun holsters.

    ReplyDelete