Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Gun: Beretta Brigadier 96D

Beretta Brigadier 96D
PSP issue .40
(Not an actual picture of my gun, although identical, mine is in better shape)

Specifications from the manufacturer:

Barrel Length: 5 inches
Capacity: 11 rounds
Sights: Trijicon Night Sights
Action: DAO

This is one of the second generation Berettas carried by the Pennsylvania State Police.  It is the 96D (Double Action Only) Brigadier.  Personally  I like the look of the Brigadier over the standard 92/96.  Additonally this is one of my favorite guns because of its simplicity.  I am not a fan of, as Marshal Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones in U. S. Marshals) puts it, the "Nickel plated sissy pistols".  I prefer a flat black or parkerized low shine finish on my guns.

As far as I know the only difference between a Brigadier and standard 96 is the bolstered slide with added frame support just in front of the feed ramp.  I heard somewhere this was done to prevent the limited occurance of cracked slides due to the open barrel design.  Additionally the 96D is different from the standard 96 by the removal of the manual safety.  The 96D does still have the integral Beretta safeties to prevent misfires and accidental discharges from drops. 

The two biggest standout of the PSP 96D are the Trijicon night sight in place of the standard Beretta sights and the PSP engraved patch on the frame. 

Despite the long double action pull of every shot I still shoot this gun rather well.  Although as a small guy I have trouble concealing the large frame Beretta, I have carried this a few times.  Usually kept for home defense because I am thoroughly impressed with the sight picture of the night sights for low light and darkened areas.  I really enjoy the performance of this pistol and fire it heavily as a target pistol at the range.

2 comments:

  1. I do not fully understand what night sights are.
    Can you please go into a little more detail about them? How do they help you see in the low light and darkened areas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mortis. Night sights are accessory sights that illuminate the sight picture of a weapon to that the sight picture can be seen and you can see where you are pointing your weapon when there is otherwise not enough ambient light for the sights to be seen. As far as I know there are two kinds of nights sights. 1. sights that have an additive to allow them to emit a dull glow. Example: Trijicon night sights have a small amount of radiation that causes them to glow a dull green but the glow is only visible in low and no light environments. With these the sights are glowing immediately upon draw from a holster. I believe these sights cost a little more but the radiation has a half life of like 1000 years or something rediculous like that so they will not need replaced. In regular light they sights simply appear white. 2. Night sights that absorb a small amount of ambient energy. These sights cost a little less but the draw back as I see it is the need to hit the sight with light. For say a law enforcement officer who has their weapon in a rentention or full holster the front sight will essentially be covered and thus in the dark so upon draw the officer would need to shine a light on the front sight for a few seconds to illuminate it. I do not have personal experience with these lights but the some of the officers I know who have carried them say its just part of your training you hit the front sight with your light on draw and your good to go. My opinion is this kills your night vision and slows you down.

    ReplyDelete