Monday, March 21, 2011

Gun: Firestorm 45 Compact

Its kinda funny.  Of all the guys I own, the Firestorm is actually my favorite. 

 I bought or received all my firearms for one reason or another.  My Sig Sauer P229 .40 caliber, I bought because I wanted a 40 that i would be able to use to improve my pistol skill and so I could carry it concealed.  And I really do enjoy shooting my Sig.  I actually compromised on my Sig.  Despite it is the most expensive gun I own, there are things I would do to change it.  Night sights being one of them.  Additionally although I bought it specifically for concealed carry... I rarely carry it because of its boxy frame.  It makes me feel like everybody can see it under my shirt.

My Beretta 96D Brigidier .40.  Really nice gun.  I wanted it because it is one of the firearms my dad carried on the job.  It is a really nice gun.  I would still change it.  Being that it is a double action only model, the trigger pull is really long and  I find it hard to shoot.  Personally I don't prefer a pistol that is designed for single action and converted to double only.  I am going to see if it is possible to convert it to DA/SA.

My Ruger Security Six .357 I wanted because my dad carried it and to hunt.  I decided not to even buy my hunting license last year because I haven't hunted in 4 years because it was difficult with school.  So aside from the 1 time I took it to the range it hasn't even left my gun cabinet.

And my Springfield Armory GI Champion.  Really nice classic 1911.  I actually traded it on a less expensive gun.  I bought the GI because I have always liked Browning's classic 1911 design.  I researched and looked around and decided on the GI because of its simplicity and close proximity to the original design.  Still wasn't perfect.  I could not shoot it.  Not only were the sights small and difficult to aim, the internal ejector had a tendency to flick spent shells right into my forehead.
  
So its funny that the Firestorm is my favorite for a few reasons.  First of all, it is the only gun I bought used.  And being used it needs some work.  The beaver tail safety doesn't work right and the trigger needs some adjusting.  Second, the Firestorm has no history for me.  I bought it because it was on sale.  I ended up only paying 100 dollars for it after trading the GI on it.  I decided to trade my GI because, to put bigger sights on it and adjust the ejector would have involved major changes to the slide that would be irreversible.  Third, the Firestorm is not what I would have thought I wanted.  I usually have an aversion to flashy guns.  My usual preference is utilitarian black coatings.  The Firestorm is a Tu-tone with a black slide and silver frame. 
I decided to buy the Firestorm because it is used.  Being not a top of the line gun I felt that I wouldn't cause me heart ache first of all if it blew up and secondly if it needed work to improve it in the future.

The things I want to "improve" are the grips, sights and finish.  I really like the Nighthawk "Golfball" grips and will probably upgrade to them.  Not decided on the sights yet.  Like the standard height 3 dot sights that are on it but might like night sights at some point.  The finish is not as important to me as I thought it would be.  I either want to "paint/beadblast" the whole gun and go with a black matte finish or just have the frame refinished to match the blueing on the slide closer.






 








 

1 comment: